For German readers: some thoughts and notes and quotes on the music I'm listening - to be found
on my new blog:
ubus-notizen.blogspot.com

Also check out the great new, independent magazine get happy!?, reporting on music, movies and more:
gethappymag.de

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Freddie Hubbard - Denver 1973

Here's the last of the early/mid seventies shows, another great one!
This is again in the mood of the early CTI albums I'd say (as I stated before, I only have "Red Clay" and "Straight Life" so far).
On the rhodes, there's once more George Calbes, and on tenor the great Junior Cook, while bassist and drummer Kent Brinkley and Ralph Penland are again unfamiliar to me - but this is a great band, and a fairly decent (but far from perfect) recording, for its age. It grooves mightily, that's for sure!

As a related bonus, I'll also have a 1975 Stanley Turrentine show (with a quartet, on drums in Bruno Carr, keyboarder and bassist are unknowns to me, John Miller and Tarura Nakamura - could well be a spelling error in the bassist name, please correct me in a comment if you know better so my upload will be more correct!)

: . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . :. : . : . : . : . :

Freddie Hubbard
Ebbetts Field, Denver CO (USA)
October 30, 1973


Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
Junior Cook - tenor sax, flute
George Cables - Fender rhodes electric piano
Kent Brinkley - bass
Ralph Penland - drums

1. Warming Up > Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey > Band Intros (18:08)
2. Spirits of Trane (Freddie Hubbard) (24:53)
3. Here's That Rainy Day (11:27) [fade-in]
4. Sky Dive (17:37)

TT: 72:08

Sound: A- (with a few flaws...several short left-channel dropouts)
Lineage: Soundboard > Master Reel > Panasonic SV 3700 DAT > DBx150X Type 1 NR Decoder > Panasonic SV-3700 DAT > Digital I/O SOundCard Deluxe > Soundforge 6.0 > lac
Additional Lineage: FLAC > WAV > GoldWave (editing) > FLAC (8)(asb)

5 comments:

ubu said...

FLAC (tagged) + info:

http://rapidshare.com/files/178975681/Freddie_Hubbard_1973-10-30_Denver__ubu-edit_.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/178954978/Freddie_Hubbard_1973-10-30_Denver__ubu-edit_.part2.rar

sasha said...

Hey ubu! Just had to come and lay a thankyou having listened to some of this magic..This is right up there with all the classic CTI stuff from this period..And I aint never heard that intro. to 'Sky Dive' before..Beautiful!! The 'rock n' roll' number, as Freddie refers to 'Uncle Albert'!, is just awesome..Right down to its final moments..I could on and on..You just gotta listen.

ish said...

s/b Teruo Nakamura, Ubu. Unicorn is his key album, a gem.

ubu said...

Thanks for the correction, ish.

I only know Turrentine's early recordings (Prestige with Shirley Scott, the Blue Notes) - I'm not that big on fusion in general, but then I should som day check out more of Stanley's recordings, that's for sure!

Mike said...

Please repost if you would. Thanks very much.