For German readers: some thoughts and notes and quotes on the music I'm listening - to be found
on my new blog:
ubus-notizen.blogspot.com

Also check out the great new, independent magazine get happy!?, reporting on music, movies and more:
gethappymag.de

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ikue Mori & Zeena Parkins - Zürich 2005

Next one from the dime series - their disc "Phantom Orchard" gets the ubu seal of approval, too! The Mego label (used to be under www.mego.at) has gone belly-up in 2005, but there's a successor label - they yet need to reissue "Phantom Orchard" though...)

: . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . :

This is one of my own audience recordings, in quite ok sound.
I deleted the applause since it disrupted the musical flow (It felt that way already during the concert).

The concert was one of the more amazing ones among those I witnessed... Zeena Parkins is great, she went from sitting there like a classical performer to rocking around like some hardrock guitar player, changing between a regular harp and an electronic one, as well as a glockenspiel and some electronics...
Ikue Mori, as usual, sat behind her i-book, rather motionless, which I dislike in concert settings... I like the optical aspect as well as the musical, and those concerts I saw that were of the "eai" kind, I usually found boring just because there was nothing "going on" in a physical/motional way.
Anyway, I have fond memories of this, and I also enjoy the duo's official release, "Phanton Orchard", quite a lot!

I don't think I've shared this show before, so I hope there'll be some interest!



Ikue Mori / Zeena Parkins
Taktlos 2005
Zürich (Switzerland), Rote Fabrik
June 3, 2005


Zeena Parkins - harp, electric harp, glockenspiel, electronics
Ikue Mori - laptop

01. (6:44)
02. (4:56)
03. (4:51)
04. (3:55)
05. (7:08)
06. (5:32)
07. (5:43)
08. (7:56)
09. (4:38)
10. (2:55)

TT: 54:23

Sound: A-
Lineage: Aud (front row, center) > cheap Sony mic > Minidisc > analogue to HD > GoldWave > FLAC (asb)(8) > CDR
Additional: EAC (secure) > Cool Edit Pro (centred all tracks, boosted left channel +6dB) > FLAC (8,asb,verify)
Shared by ubu on dimeadozen in January 2009

Note: I cut out the applause because it interrupted the flow of the music (which bothered me to some extent, in the live situation as well).

2 comments:

ubu said...

FLAC (tagged) + info:

http://rapidshare.com/files/210217228/Ikue_Mori_-_Zeena_Parkins_2005-06-03_Zurich.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/210215242/Ikue_Mori_-_Zeena_Parkins_2005-06-03_Zurich.part2.rar

Arcturus said...

well, I'm looking fwd to hearing this, thank you - btw, there's a nice 4 part video )~24 minutes) where these two are joined by Fred Frith - 1st one's @:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RW2hyGMR4