For German readers: some thoughts and notes and quotes on the music I'm listening - to be found
on my new blog:
ubus-notizen.blogspot.com

Also check out the great new, independent magazine get happy!?, reporting on music, movies and more:
gethappymag.de

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Brotherhood of Breath

In absence of new posts of my own, let me point out a live show by Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath, over on that great place, Inconstant Sol.
Altena 1972

The info pulled together should now read like this:

Brotherhood of Breath
Altena (DE)
June 24 (1-3) & June 25 (4), 1972


prob. line-up:
Harry Beckett, Marc Charig - trumpet
Malcolm Griffith, Nick Evans - trombone
Mike Osborne - alto sax
Dudu Pukwana (#4 only) - alto sax
Gary Windo - tenor sax
poss. unknown (Alan Skidmore? Evan Parker?) - tenor sax
Chris McGregor - piano
Harry Miller - bass
Louis Moholo - drums

1. Call [Ismite Is Might]
2. Mra > Andromeda
3. Do It > Think of Something [inc]
4. The Serpent's Kindly Eye [inc]

TT: 36:31

Sound: A-/B+
Lineage: FM > ? > CDR > EAC > WAV > FLAC

My guess for second tenor is only because BoB usually had two tenors in the line-up. It's not based on aural evidence. For that, I'd have to dig up my CDR and play this show again...

I assume the dates to be correct now, as the guy who mentioned #4 being from the following night did not correct my date posted in the comments over there.
If anyone knows more about the location or if this concert was part of some festival etc, please post it in the comments over there!

More BoB to follow right here, I think, I hope...

2 comments:

hank horse said...

Excellent post! Thanks for this, Ubu. I'm excited about track #4 (despite the rougher sound) because Serpent's Kindly Eye is such an interesting flexible groove; have you heard the version on Bremen to Bridgewater?

Cheers,
MB

helmi said...

Hi Ubu

I for one would really appreciate any more BoB, Mcgregor, Pukwana etc that you can post in the future.

Thanks